Sunday, February 19, 2012

Week 3 Reading Response #1 to Vivian Tejedor

Week 3 Reading Reflexion "How Fascinating!"-Benjamin Zanders

Photograph taken by: Vivian Tejedor, 
collecting seeds from, heliconia bloom.

Lighting a spark, as I struggle with the thought of sometimes taking myself  too seriously.  I can’t help but feel sad for the opportunities I might have missed to light a spark in my students when caught in a downward spiral to cover a lesson or worried about classroom management. I keep repeating to myself, try not to miss another opportunity to light a spark, I imagine a burning coal in my pocket, hoping I won’t forget.

As I finish this week reading, I realized that what I call my escape to a lush exuberant nature is not an escape but my passion.  I never called it a passion before because it has always been a special space for me to get lost. The space I am talking about is a heliconia farm, my father and I have been conduits to its transformation. We have collected and nursed seeds from every place possible to the point of risking malaria. In this space I allow myself to apply all the habits proposed by the authors’ in the art of possibilities without a second thought. This is the space where I am most at peace. I still find myself resistant to apply the habits proposed by the authors’ in the art of possibilities outside of my safe space.  I propose, to myself, I am going to stop taking myself so seriously outside of my safe space. I know I will fail from time to time, well  “How fascinating!”

1 comments:

  1. Vivian, I love the candidness in your post. Take it from someone who has a litany of failures. The best way to overcome taking risks is failing and finding out that nothing really changes. Failure is not devastating. It is a learning experience, and in my vast experience, I have found that others respect those who give the effort whether they are necessarily successful or not. More importantly, you respect yourself more...after all, if you fail 99 times, but succeed once, your record is still better than not trying at all...;-)
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
    Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment